Thursday, September 3, 2015

INSANE IS THE NEW NORMAL: POST TWENTY

Toy Camel



     My father spent much of his adult life gripped by the desire for a better life, so he kept getting slightly better jobs, and we kept moving every few years to a slightly larger tract house. When I was eleven, my family escaped the racial tensions that pervaded Los Angeles after the assassinations of Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy by relocating to a small town in the San Joaquin Valley. The day after we moved in to our new home in Fresno, I was unpacking boxes on the plush orange carpet of our family room and discovered a zipper bag stuffed with miniature plastic toy figures, soldiers from different wars mixed with exotic people and animals from different continents. All were smaller than the average toy figure, which made me feel godlike as I positioned them on the furniture or the floor in some dramatic scene, such as an ambush or a battle.
     When I opened the bag, tempted to play with the toy figures again, I found a tiny camel, pale lemon yellow, which came with a flat plastic stand resembling a puddle of desert sand. As I searched through the bag, I experienced a premonition that the camel would have great significance for me in the distant future. Flustered, I searched the new house for someone to talk to about it, knowing that I might not be able to find the right words. I couldn't find my father or mother or grandparents but eventually discovered my brother in the garage.
Path 28
     “You're full of it,” he sneered after I told him. I wanted to explain that I was simply trying to understand a bizarre premonition but then realized that I was once again suffering the fate of a younger sibling, irritating my brother merely by my presence.
     Forty-four years later, my brother and I had to sell the house to pay for my mother's long-term care. While living alone in the house, she had experienced bouts of dizziness but didn't complain about them to anyone. She eventually fell face down on concrete and ended up undergoing a craniotomy for a subdural hematoma with a mid-line shift (in other words, serious bleeding in the brain). After the surgery, she lived with me and my wife for almost two years. Then she fell and broke her hip and spent two months in rehabilitation.
     Two weeks after she came back to live with us, she suffered a severe stomach flu, which led to dehydration and infection and a serious spike in blood pressure when she attempted to sit up. She could no longer get out of bed, and I, believing that she would recover like she always had before, hesitated to take her again to the emergency room. I soon realized that she needed someone more qualified to care for her. I had, despite my best intentions, made an error in judgment could have led to tragedy.
     While she was living with me and my wife, her house was, for all intents and purposes, abandoned. I checked on it every other day and did what I could to maintain it, taking care of termites and filing an insurance claim for mold and fungus. I also had to file several insurance claims for burglary and vandalism. Because burglars shattered a window pane in her front door as well as her back sliding glass door, she ended up with new carpet for the front room, family room and hallways, but enough was enough.
     When my brother and I were clearing out the house, getting it ready to sell, my brother found the tiny toy camel on a shelf in the garage and smiled as he handed it to me. For a second, I hoped that we would find the sack full of other toy figures, but then I recalled, as though suddenly recalling a vivid dream, the baffling premonition that this camel would at some point have great significance for me. I don't think that my brother remembered what I had told him, and I didn't want to remind him of it because I knew that I would probably just irritate him like I did forty-four years earlier.
     When I pulled the camel out of the bag so many years ago, I foresaw the future. I can recall at least four other times in childhood when this happened to me. In each case, I either heard a voice tell me about the future or felt a premonition—I didn't just suspect or imagine that something was going to happen, in other words—I knew with unshakable certainty. In each case, I only remembered when the event came to pass many years later, as if each premonition were meant to be forgotten and unexpectedly recalled so that I could place the experience in perspective. I doubt that anyone can provide an adequate scientific explanation for these experiences, but I suspect that in the physical dimension, the five senses limit us so much that we can only experience linear time, but in some other dimension all time exists at once, and a higher or deeper aspect of the self, a daimon that transcends space and time, can access knowledge about what we in our dimension can only know as the future. If true, this would make the already knotty issue of free will even harder to untangle.
     Since I foresaw the future at least five times while I was growing up, I must conclude that these premonitions are more than mere coincidence. These episodes of precognition tie the future and the past together for me in a way that most memories do not, suggesting that I am meant to place the experiences into a larger perspective.

Path 13, the Path of Gimel

     About fifteen years or so ago, I became obsessed with the modern Qabalah after a series of visions during meditation introduced me to the symbol system known as the Tree of Life, and I immediately associated the camel with the Path of Gimel, the thirteenth path on the Tree, which connects Tiphareth, the Christ center, with Kether, the Crown of creation. (See previous posts.) The Path of Gimel is the central path that travels across the Abyss between the planes of manifestation and the spiritual planes (from which comes intuition). This is the path of the mystic who escapes the wheel of birth and death to live in the spirit. The Hebrew letter Gimel means “camel,” suggesting that something other than intellect or conscious determination is necessary to travel across the Abyss, the way a camel, through sheer primal strength and willpower, crosses a desert.
     I stared at the camel for a few seconds, suspecting that some greater significance related to the Path of Gimel would soon unfold. The camel, I realized, was like a symbol in a dream. Coincidentally the Path of Gimel is associated with the moon and dreams. The reappearance of the toy camel suggested to me that sometimes symbols are embedded in events as they unfold in linear time to help us understand their significance the way that symbols are embedded within dreams.
     As I stared at the camel, I realized that I was as old as I had imagined I would be when I foresaw the future, my beard gray and my head bald, but I felt pretty much the same as I always have. Most of the people in the neighborhood had died or moved away while the camel had waited alone on that shelf. My mother was eighty-nine years old and getting frailer even as we emptied her house, but she seemed pretty much the same as she had been when I was a child. At that moment, I believed that people feel pretty much the same their whole life, which comforted me, but I was saddened by the inexorable black hole, never visible but always near, that kept sucking everything, like my other toys, into it.
     And at that moment, in the house that I had not lived in for thirty-seven years, the only thing that held much significance for me was the toy camel, as if the rest of my childhood was irrevocably lost due to a lack of anything tangible that I could touch, but oddly, at that moment, I was happy. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I sensed that the camel confirmed everything I secretly believed.
     I placed the toy camel on the dashboard of my car, and in the Valley heat three of the brittle plastic legs broke off one by one, leaving little stubs. If I were to speculate about the symbolic significance of the one-legged camel, I would interpret it to mean that on the spiritual journey across the Abyss, legs don't matter, only the spiritual will to continue, against all odds, on the journey.
Ithuriel's Spears
     It took me a few days to figure out why at that moment I was happy, but I wasn't always in an upbeat frame of mind during that time. I felt that I was slowly emptying all memories of my family from the house as items departed to the dumpster or storage or the Salvation Army. My grandparents and my uncle, my father and mother, and my brother and I had comprised the whole of the family that settled in Fresno in 1971. By the mid seventies, my grandparents had both passed away. Then, in 1977, three days before his fifty-sixth birthday, my father died of a heart attack. I moved out when I was eighteen and my brother moved to a different state soon after. My mother remained alone in the house. My brother and I became busy with college and jobs and families of our own and didn't stay in touch, and I didn't see my mother that often even though I lived down the street. By the time my uncle died in the early eighties, what was once a family unit seemed more like a mirage. 
     After a week of helping me clear out the house, my brother and his wife had to return home to resume their daily lives. During the process of dealing with my mother's house and belongings after they left, I dropped her car off at the repair shop and took a shuttle bus to my mother's house. I asked the driver to let me off at a corner so I could stroll through my old neighborhood, past the house near my mother's that I had rented for twelve years.
     Strolling by my neighbor's house, I remembered that several of my cats had disappeared. One cat showed up after a few days and came tearing through the house with a pellet from a gun lodged in his throat after we let him in. While my son and I were playing electric guitars one day, our neighbor, uninvited, barged into the house, dashed to the back bedroom and started screaming at us. His sister said he died a drunk, and he died alone, his body discovered several days later surrounded by cages, in which, I suspect, he imprisoned neighborhood cats and tortured them.
Six of Swords
     I ambled by the house of my daughter's friend, Jenny. At one point when Jenny had just turned eighteen, the police found her in suspicious circumstances. She had somehow suffered damage to the frontal lobe that would make it difficult for her to function the rest of her life. She woke up handcuffed to a bed in a hospital and could not remember what had happened—the police initially believed she had stolen a truck, only to discover that a man who owned the truck had drugged her and kidnapped her. A few years earlier, Jenny's brother had also suffered a similar type of brain damage in an automobile accident and had fallen victim to a child molester.
     Steve Watson had lived across the street for awhile. I was a year older that Steve. He had been in my fourth-fifth combination class when I first moved to Fresno. We were also on the same little league team during middle school, at a time when I was losing all interest in sports. He had turned into an amazing athlete who could throw the most mind-boggling pitches, one of which, I remember, always wove unpredictably past my bat. He ended up in the minor leagues on his way to a career in professional baseball, but health issues interfered. I had just recently encountered Steve on a gurney in the hospital around the corner from my mother during her bout with the stomach flu. He had driven a bright red corvette when he had lived across the street from me, but in the hospital he was shaggy and dirty as though he had been living on the street for quite some time. As I passed him on my way out of the hospital, he asked if I remembered him. Oddly, his name popped out of my mouth even though his face was almost unrecognizable under long gray hair and a beard, and we had a short chat.
Path 24
     I past the house of a portly man whom my wife and I had called “The Mayor.” He had retired many years before and often stood in his garage monitoring the neighborhood. Once he nailed yellow ribbons to all of the liquid ambers on the public easements along the street in support of the troops in the Persian Gulf. He died soon after we moved away.
     Many of the people of my parent's generation who had lived in that neighborhood had also died, and I recalled their names as I strolled by their old haunts.
     Two houses down from my mother's house a shy girl named Shayla grew up. After her father died and her mother was moved to the memory care unit of a nursing home, Shayla continued living in her parent's house. Shayla once had a crush on my brother, someone told me, and I had spread the rumor throughout the neighborhood. She later raised two children in that house and died in her early forties from breast cancer. I had no idea where my other neighborhood friends were now.
Seven of Cups
     When I reached my mother's house, I felt alone. Each of the people in the neighborhood who had passed away, I mused, had lived only a little while to clothe their dreams in flesh. When I stepped into the house, I pulled two heavy key chains out of my pocket to place them on the kitchen counter, and the toy camel fell out of my pocket onto the floor. The camel could only have great significance for me now: As a child I could not possibly have known such a heightened sense of flux and impermanence. I should just let go, I thought, as I gazed mournfully at the camel, just let go of all of it. Strangely I did not need to try: I felt no desire to keep the camel or anything else that was once in the house. 
     As I entered my mother's empty kitchen, I remembered my first day of school after our first night in Fresno. Early in the morning, my mother took my brother to sign him up at middle school and left me alone for at least a half an hour before she came back and drove me to my new elementary school. When they left, I was free, I realized; I had never been left alone in a house before. Strange noises terrified me though. Forty-four years later, I felt almost the same, aware that I am free, not lonely but alone, aware of all the pops and creaks in the house but not afraid. I had the strange feeling that I was eleven again even though I am now the same age my father was when he died of a heart attack.

Eight of Swords

     Her empty house made me unexpectedly happy because I felt free of anyone else's expectations, free of social conditioning. All of the relatives who had gathered with us over the years were gone or had lost touch. My eighty-nine year old mother now barely remembered any of those gatherings that were once so important to my father, who spent his life getting a better job every few years and buying a better house and bigger car, finally settling in a neighborhood at the northern edge of Fresno, CA, not far from one of the first malls in the Central Valley. Soon all the fields and orchards north of Shaw Ave. would be plowed under; the northern edge of town now is miles away, bordering the San Joaquin River. A town of one hundred thousand has grown to half a million since my father passed away thirty-eight years ago.
     The camel in the carpet, even more diminutive after the loss of its legs, was so small that I hardly noticed it as I surveyed the empty room even though I knew where it was. It would no doubt be overlooked by most of the people who came to view the house if I left it there. The camel, alone in a vast desert of brown carpet, was free.
     For many years, I lived my life as others expected, afraid that losing all sense of social conditioning through rebelliousness or cognitive dissonance or separation from the herd or trauma might lead to insanity or bestiality or dissolution or worse. I know several people who crossed that invisible line at some point in their lives; they kept up appearances while secretly plotting and carrying out heinous acts. (See previous posts.) It struck me as I stood in the empty room, rememberng the time I was eleven, that I have always had the spirit of the camel in me. I have had enough premonitions and intuitions to develop faith and enough challenges to understand the value of it. I have never been a great success at anything, but I at least developed a deep love of nature and the arts, experiencing an exaltation of consciousness that has led to the Vision of Harmony, associated in the Qabalah with the state of being known as Tiphareth, which instilled in me a sympathy for all things, a connection that some people would no doubt consider naive or insane. 
     The camel in the carpet was signifying that I could proceed now on the Path of Gimel. As I stared at the camel, I knew that I at some point had crossed a line and couldn't turn back. The Path of Gimel leads from Tiphareth across the Abyss to the first swirlings of the Source, the Crown of Creation. I must travel across the Abyss alone, with only my sense of adventure and exaltation and connection with divinity to goad me on despite everything.
     Instead of the dinner table under the small chandelier, where I had gathered so many times with aunts and uncles and grandparents and cousins and friends, there was only a tiny one-legged camel in the sand-colored carpet. I imagined it still plodding away on a journey into the unknown, drawn only by a powerful, invisible force. All desire to remove myself from divinity for the sake of appearances or to expend energy accumulating the stuff of the tribe had vanished, as though blown away by desert winds. I softly shut my mother's front door, and with only a faint moon path to guide me, stepped into my next adventure.






No comments:

Post a Comment